Perfect Chamber of Commerce weather was ordered up for the Mayor's Thames Festival today and we thoroughly enjoyed both the weather and the festival.There were lots of booths with interesting merchandise (some of which was purchased) and tempting cuisine (some of that was purchased and consumed as well) lining the south bank of the river. This picture was taken on the north bank after most of our festival strolling, but I wanted to publish it to show that, yes, the sun does occasionally shine in London!
Lots of entertainment is also a feature of the festival, but other than some very entertaining
street acts, the only official program we got to see was a very cute and energetic group of Korean boys break-dancing. The young man in red at the left put on quite a show, but for me the highlight was the pair who danced to a rap version of Pachebel's Canon (unfortunately I couldn't get a good picture of them). The crowds were not too unmanageable at this early point in the day, but later, when we tried to watch some tango demonstrations, we were unable to see the dancers. I'm glad we got to see the Koreans, however.One of the events we'd been looking forward to was a race on the river that started 20 miles or so upstream. We waited and waited near Blackfriars Bridge for the racers but when they hadn't shown 30 minutes past the time they were scheduled, we gave up on them and headed for the other, less crowded side of the river to catch a tube home.
But they were just a little late and we were in time to catch them. So from a nice perch on the Jubilee footbridge next to the Hungerford rail bridge, we had the marvelous treat of seeing all these wonderful rowers and boats headed down the home stretch of the race!
Some of the boats were pretty serious about this, but a lot were just out for fun, such as the pub
employees at the right. All in all, a marvelous day in this most civilized of cities. There were crowds, yes, but they were terribly well-mannered. And when you need a pit stop there's the
amazingly well-run public convenience at just the right spot. I could get used to this.And of course the wonderful scenery along the Thames that we're still having to pinch ourselves to be sure we're not just seeing in our dreams. (Even if some of it has a dreamlike quality of its own, such as the Dali clock sculpture at the left.)
Sigh. It's real—we're really here!
[And I was glad to get reports of minimal Ike damage from my brother when I got home this afternoon. Hope others I haven't heard from yet are ok and just out of juice.]

4 comments:
You wouldn't happen to remember any tips or tricks to sleeping in Houston sans a/c would you?
Seems Ike took all the breeze with him.
Take a cool bath or wipe down with cool cloths will provide some temporary help w/o electricity; I hope you have running water ok! That's all I can think of. I did go through jr. high and high school in classrooms with no ac but we did have fans and I remember being very hot. Looks like a cool front may be headed your way, so hopefully it will bring some relief. Good luck!
I spent the weekend glued to the "telly", well the internet feeds from Houston, and worrying about my family. What a mess!! Glad you've had some good days of sightseeing. Wasn't the weather devine yesterday? And it looks like today is going to be a repeat.
Glad you're enjoying yourself :-)
I hope your folks back home are ok. So far my friends and family seemed to have come thru ok but it sure must have been (and still is) a scary experience.
Post a Comment