Tuesday, September 2, 2008

In memoriam: a truly free spirit

My aunt Betty—my father's sister and my mother's best friend—passed away yesterday. And since I won't be able to attend her funeral service this weekend, I thought I'd pay my respects this way. That's her in the picture, standing, with the glasses, during a visit to our family when we were living in Montana in the '50's. (I'm the ridiculously coy-looking 8-year old in the front, sitting next to her dear friend Ann).

What a unique individual she was! I have so many happy and distinctive memories of her: she taught me how to drink margaritas (responsibly!)—and make them! she took me to the Astrodome, she had a player piano that we loved to pedal, she gave much anticipated Christmas and birthday gifts, and so on, and so on.

Betty had no children of her own, but she delighted in her many, many, nieces, nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews, great-great-nieces and great-great nephews. Since she started slipping away into dementia over the past few years, we've actually all been missing her for quite some time. But now she really is gone, last of my parents' generation to leave us—a rather sobering thought.

But she loved to travel, especially to Colorado (you can see her beloved Pagosa valley in the picture below) and I know she'd be excited about my trip to London. When family members come to visit me this fall, we'll find a good pub and raise a pint in her honor. And I know she'll be with us—in spirit.

3 comments:

TBM said...

A beautiful tribute. I love how she was your father's sister and your mother's best friend.

Kathy Amen said...

That is probably a pretty unusual state of affairs. The two sides of our family were closer than some single families are!

Care said...

I was very sorry to hear about Betty and wanted to convey my sympathy. Your tribute to her was lovely.

Though I only had a chance to meet her briefly, I sensed that she was someone with a playful spirit (when we were introduced she swept me off my feet, literally!), and I feel fortunate for the glimpse into your family's history that meeting Betty afforded me.