Thursday, September 25, 2008

QPR

Another slow blog day, but I did have an important errand. I went to the stadium of the Championship (regardless of how this sounds, they are one division down from the top flight) team Queens Park Rangers, which is practically in our neighborhood, and got tickets for a match next Tuesday night. Hal, Sally and I will be attending and soaking up a classic English cultural experience. [btw, I got a call from Hal this morning while they were hiking in Wales!]

We won't be soaking up any beer, though, at least not at the stadium, since drinking in the grounds is prohibited to keep down the football-related violence. But there is a serviceable pub just down the street, so we can stop off there on the way. (It's called the Springbok because the street is called South Africa Road; several buildings and side-streets have South African-themed names.) As another indicator of the type of security they have at the matches, I had to give my name and address when buying the tickets. I think they keep track of who's sitting where and if anyone in those seats causes trouble, they'll know where to come get them!

This will be a fairly pricey outing, but I promised Sally a match while she is here. I actually had planned to buy tickets in the next-to-cheapest section, since they are only £5 more for this game (which, against Blackpool, must not be a very big draw). But the nice young man at the ticket window said there were plenty of seats with good views in the cheapest section—an honest ticket-seller!—and so I took his advice. The seats are uncovered, though, so please help us hope for good weather!

Here's a picture of the grounds. Despite the different spelling, the name made me think of Aunty—I'll bet she'd have enjoyed attending the match with us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though you're calling it a slow blog day, I think the daily things of life are really interesting.

TBM said...

Kathy, I think Sally needs to visit more often because ever since she touched down we've had glorious weather! It's supposed to be perfect this weekend. Enjoy your outing!!

Kathy Amen said...

I will pass along the thanks for the good weather! And I'm finding the daily things of life in London are really interesting, too; glad you agree!