That unpleasant period is about to begin with respect to the London trip, with the additional stressors of:
- preparations for teaching two classes
- worries over what could go wrong with 23 students’ logistics
- planning for actually LIVING in a strange place, not just visiting for a few weeks
Yikes! All things considered, though, I’m certainly glad we’re going and that the big day is so close. I thought I’d take this opportunity to explain about the picture at the top of the blog, since you might wonder where I got it. It’s a scan of a postcard my Dad sent my Mom from England when he was stationed there during the War and is one of my favorites of the many cards he sent to her and to his mother. (You may see all of them, with lots of photos and other WWII and family memorabilia, and can also read Dad’s Journal, on my website.) Appropriately enough, today is Mom’s birthday, and I have to thank her again for, among many other things, saving all of Dad’s photos, papers, and letters, as well as the Journal itself.
If she were still with us today, I’d be wishing her a happy 86th birthday, and I’m sure she would be excited for me as I embark upon my London journey. Love you, Mom! and I miss you.


3 comments:
Kathy, I am excited for you as you prepare for your time here in London. I know it's hard to imagine right now, but be sure to pack some warm clothes and don't forget a raincoat and a brolly! You can always buy your wellies here ;-)
I love the story behind your blog header.
Thanks! I am actually very much looking forward to the cooler than south Texas temps and even the rain! It's been so dry here that rain sounds like desireably exotic weather.
So exciting! Can't wait to hear all about it. I am so jealous. Where will you be living?
I have this image of London winter - OK, don't laugh. Hook was pretty much a terrible movie, but I loved the opening scenes of London at Christmas. So magical! So I'm thinking Peter Pan, and you're talking about senior discounts - I can't BELIEVE that!
Love the story about the postcard. I miss your mom, too. She was a terrific lady.
Roomie
Post a Comment