Just finished a relaxing Sunday morning breakfast reading the Sunday paper, a favorite weekend activity. Actually, reading the paper while eating breakfast is a favorite weekday activity, too, something that’s become so much of a habit that I’ve given some serious thought to how I’ll handle breakfast in my London flat. I’m not sure I can digest it properly if I don’t have a paper to read while I eat! Fortunately, there are some great online newspapers, and I’ll have my handy laptop (although I will need to be extra careful with the orange juice so near the keyboard….). I’ve been regularly reading my two favorite British online papers for a few months, now, getting in the mood and getting up to speed regarding what’s going on in the UK. The Guardian is good (and they have an easy-to-use podcasts page), but my favorite has become the Times of London.
Both have wonderful worldwide and UK coverage, and I’ve discovered a neat feature that I’ll probably continue to visit long after my English adventure is over. If you go to the Times’ UK News page, there will usually be a little block in the middle column entitled “Pictures of the Week.” What a great assortment of photos! Humorous, serious, moving, gorgeous—it covers all the bases. The two photos in this post are my favorites from the current slideshow. They show synchronized swimmers practicing in Beijing and jugglers in Germany.
So I’ll have plenty to read while eating my bagel or cereal or gruel or whatever I decide makes the best breakfast combination of healthy and cheap while in London. And if I’m homesick, I can always catch up on what’s happening in San Antonio (particularly once the Spurs season gets underway) by looking at the Express-News online.
[picture credits—jugglers: Uli Deck/EPA; swimmers: Wolfgang Rattay/Reuters]


2 comments:
I like the Times online too. And might I suggest a breakfast of toasted crumpets with a nice, strong English Cheddar? Mmmmm :-)
Sounds tasty! I had another crumpets recommendation just the other day, so I'll definitely give them a try. And practically anything is better with cheese on it, although I'm not used to having cheese for breakfast.
Post a Comment