Not too much new to report on the travel preparation front, although I am now the proud owner of several items that will be of value in London: international faculty id (good for discounts, I hear—hmm, wonder if it would beat the senior discount I'm automatically given at the movies these days....), St. Mary's credit card for incidental program expenses, and a new debit card for personal commercial transactions and otherwise propping up the UK economy.
While I'm experiencing the lull before the travel storm, my son and daughter-in-law are in the middle of one (although hopefully not literally). They're currently on a bike trek in the Canadian Maritimes. You can read about their journey at the aptly named website crazyguyonabike. This trek of theirs isn't nearly as crazy as the one they took in 2006, which looped through Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, and Malaysia. The journal covering that trip is still on the website, too.
I'll be leaving for London while they are still biking. When they finish up Hal will take off to visit me there, and his sister will be coming, too. If I get lonely the first week I'm there, at least I know I won't have long to wait for family company.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Thanks for the shout-outs, Mom! Can't wait to come visit you in your home away from home.
In just a couple of weeks you'll be
looking back on this stressful period (over a pint of Boddingtons, maybe) and chuckling to yourself about how quickly you've adapted to London life! I can't wait to hear all about it.
Wish I were coming to visit you too!
I wish you could come, too, Care! We'll lift a pint for you!
It's really good that you have your debit card NOW. It can take a couple of weeks to get, usually. Oh, maybe you can practice saying "a couple of weeks." That's how long it will take to get anything done around here! A much slower pace of life, that is to be sure. :-)
Hiya - just browsing about Just A Plane Ride Away's blog and found you.
It doesn't seem like anyone gets automatic discounts in London. Things can be exceptionally expensive but if you look around there is lots and lots of stuff you can do for free.
Here is a link to a great article in the Times Online newspaper entitled 50 great things you can get free.
Welcome to London!
Thanks, emm! I like your blog; looks like you are having a great time in Turkey. Those shots of the Aegean are gorgeous!
Post a Comment