Wednesday, August 27, 2008

10-Day Forecast

A major milestone in the trip countdown has been passed: the 10-day forecasts on weather.com for London are now relevant to me! Forecast for our arrival day is mostly cloudy, with a high of 67. (Sounds heavenly, compared to San Antonio's forecast for the same day of 91!) Better be sure I don't forget to put a sweater in the carry-on. If the checked bags are delayed, I'll still want a little outerwear.

The map above shows the current conditions at the time of this post. I am going to have to come to terms with Celsius temperatures, which has always been a challenge for me. This chart helps a little (remember that 10 C.=50 F.). Fortunately for the ease of F/C conversion, I don't expect the 40° swings we get some days here in south Texas.

Another weather-related bit of useful information is hours of daylight, which can be easily found for London and many other cities at this handy site. On the day we arrive, the sun will rise at 6:19 a.m. and set at 7:38. On the day we leave, in December, it won't rise until 7:59 a.m. and will set (after we've gone) at 3:51 p.m. We'll really feel like we're in the tropics when we get home that evening.

Being within that 10-day window really brings home the fact that departure is coming quickly!

4 comments:

TBM said...

I closed our windows for the first time in months today. It wasn't really THAT cold, but there was a bit of a breeze which made sitting near an open window cooler than just standing outside. Fall is definitely around the corner, however.

Kathy Amen said...

Yay! It (fall) will come a full month and a half earlier for me this year!

hal said...

Haha, I somehow always manage to take note of the same milestone before a trip. Just 2 more days and the London forecast will be relevant to me!

Kathy Amen said...

I can hardly wait to see you, Hal!