Sunday, February 8, 2009

Punting on the.... San Marcos?

A very odd sight greeted our group of conventional kayakers yesterday as we started out on a short ride down the San Marcos River from near Pecan Park. There was a group of canoeists coming toward us upstream. But the upstream wasn't the crazy part—they were standing in their boats and using long poles instead of paddles to propel themselves.

It was a party of experienced and novice punting enthusiasts! Rather a long way from the Cam and the Isis, but punting all the same!

It was a large group, more than the 4 you can see in this picture. And the kayakers, a few of which you can see on the left above, were numerous, too, taking advantage of the spring-like weather. [You can see more about our day on the river, and afterwards, in a post on my Hometown Tourist blog.]

Punting! Just another example of the world-wide reach of British culture, I suppose, and another reminder here in Texas, however odd and unexpected, of my wonderful English sojourn.

2 comments:

TBM said...

That's lovely!! I've not gone punting yet. I just know I'll fall in, so I'm waiting for a warm day... Hahaha!!

Kathy Amen said...

It looks really hard to keep your balance, at least in the otherwise normal-looking canoes these guys were using. Maybe regular punting boats are more stable.... But I won't be doing it any time soon!