Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Adeus, Felipão...

I'm beginning to think I called this blog closed a little early. I keep coming up with ideas to post.

Like yesterday, when I got in the car to drive home from work and heard that Big Phil had been sacked as Chelsea's manager! I couldn't help but think of the picture I took on the left last October. The very large sign was on the wall above a Brazilian restaurant near Chelsea's home ground, which is also near where I lived. I wonder how the the restaurant folks feel about fellow Brasileiro Phil Scolari now.

Ah, well, being the manager of a top flight English soccer team has to be one of the least secure jobs in the world. Especially at a club like Chelsea that has a lot of really high-paid players and doesn't like being stuck in fourth place in the league. I rather expect the nil-nil draw with Hull last weekend was the last straw.

I was a follower of English soccer before my trip to London, but now, with that experience behind me, the European soccer news I get here has a special poignance. It was pretty cool to open my windows and hear the cheering from Stamford Bridge on game nights!

No comments: