We had a bit of merrie olde England visit us at home in Texas the other day.When Henry visited Norwich on a family history quest in November, the train he took was delayed on the way there, and he was told to make a request at the station for a partial refund of his ticket. (His experience at the station actually led to more connections with his family history in Norwich, as you can see by reading the blog entry linked above.) And, good to their word, we got the pictured check for £12 in the mail, a few days after getting a very polite (of course!) letter telling us to expect the check and apologizing for the inconvenience of the delayed train.
I loved the trips I took on National Rail while I was in the UK (see the "trains" label at the right). My trains were all on time, it was easy to know when to get off (a major concern of Americans like me unused to public transport), staff was always helpful at the ticket windows and on the coaches, and the accommodations were comfortable and well-equipped—you can't get better than wifi on the train!
And it seems they aren't just nice when you're there in front of them, but even after you're all the way across the ocean. Now, we just have to figure out how to get a check made out in pounds into our bank account!

2 comments:
I really wish we could have ridden the sleeper up to Inverness, not that I have any complaints with Flybe, but would have enjoyed seeing the countryside and experiencing a real train trip myself for once.
8-p
The trains were wonderful,and the sleeper would have been a cool experience. But then we wouldn't have gotten to fly in a plane with Matt Le Tissier's picture on it! What a rush! 8-)
Post a Comment