Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Closing a chapter

I will never forget my semester in London; in fact, it's never far from my thoughts. But I have now set it behind me in a major way.

I have finally finished getting my photos all organized and displayed, along with reminiscences, links to blog posts and voluminous Flickr sets, as well as appropriate maps.

Whew! What a job, but what fun! I was able to relive such great times while working on this project. And I hope you enjoy perusing My Dream Season: Living in London, 2008.



Westminster Abbey & the Victoria Tower of the Houses of Parliament

I'm going to give you some more details about the project, scattering some selected photos along the way, to whet your appetite, I hope, for more.


The Serpentine in Hyde Park

As I discussed in an earlier post, I've divided up the London photos into several areas like Museums, the River, Churches, Architecture, Everyday Life, etc. Each section has at least one corresponding Flickr set that includes many more photos thanwhat's included on the web pages. The master Dream Season Flickr collection is here. Warning! There are a lot of photos in this collection!


All Souls College, Oxford

Within the web pages, I have embedded links to appropriate blog posts, so I hope they will serve as a sort of index to supplement my labels, should I, or anyone else, be looking for a particular posting.


part of the Elgin Marbles in the British Museum

I also have sections for other places I visited in the U.K., such as Oxford, Wales, and Scotland, and for Germany and Italy.


Wood of the Waterfalls in Wales


Candles in Santa Maria della Salute, Venice


Me & Henry at the Sans Souci Palace, Potsdam

A late-inning addition to the pages is a series of google maps, showing where the sights are located, and places that we visited. These maps were particularly challenging to make for the places outside of London, since I didn't spend as much time there and didn't become as familiar with these locales. But making them helped put all of these trips more firmly in my memory. And the maps might be of use to others planning brief excursions to these great destinations.


Avebury stone circle

And my giant "London Rambles" map is still available, showing every place I could think of that I experienced in London. Let me know if you see any I left out!


Window of St. Margaret Chapel, Edinburgh Castle

I still plan to post occasionally to this blog, when something particularly reminds me of London, on anniversaries, and at other times when the mood strikes me.


Memorial cairn at the Culloden Battlefield

But in the meantime, I hope you enjoy looking at the photos and reading about my wonderful adventure!


Brompton Cemetery

9 comments:

hal said...

Yay!!!!! Now on to the next adventure...

TBM said...

Kathy, you ROCK! This is a beautiful way to close your time in London. A labour of love :-)

Kathy Amen said...

Thanks, JaPRA! As always, your work is an inspiration for me!

LondonGirl said...

What a wonderful diary, and I loved the map showing your London "rambles". I'm an evangelical Londoner, born and bred, and a love the place (-:

Kathy Amen said...

Thanks for the kind words, LondonGirl. I'm envious of anyone getting to live there! I'm glad you appreciate your good fortune 8-).

LondonGirl said...

I was born in Greenwich, and have lived for a total of 31 years in London (and a year in Poland!) I'm definitely a London-fan (-:

Which part of London were you living in while you were here?

Kathy Amen said...

I lived in Chelsea, LG. But I visited Greenwich twice and really liked it! Wish I could have spent more time there.

LondonGirl said...

Chelsea's lovely, lucky you!

We live in Bloomsbury, in central London; my parents still live in Greenwich, though.

Kathy Amen said...

That's a neat part of town, too. Lucky girl!