But going to and from Buffalo, New York, for a librarians' conference this week, I had flashbacks of another kind, triggered by many hours spent in the Newark airport. Some of my faithful readers might remember our somewhat nightmarish return to the states in December, 2008, which involved an uncomfortable overnight in good ol' EWR.This year I wasn't there any longer than I was supposed to be, but just happened to have long layovers there both coming and going. No food vouchers this time around, though, and I swear the recurring security announcement that I came to loathe when trying to sleep is broadcast in the same voice! If I ever meet that woman, I won't be responsible for my actions!
In addition to the familiarity of the security voice, an uncanny thing happened when my Houston-Newark flight unloaded, and I stepped into the terminal for the first time. For just a split second, the smell of the place triggered a rather sharp Proustian response. It didn't last, and, I hasten to add, the smell isn't unpleasant, but it was a very strange and unexpected little jolt from the primitive wiring 'way down in the reptilian brain.
There's no avoiding airport layovers, I guess, especially when traveling somewhere as out-of-the-way as Buffalo, but next time I might try to find a flight with layovers somewhere else. I've had enough of Newark.

4 comments:
Coincidentally, I was in that airport Sunday night, but fortunately didn't have any delays, and basically just had time to get from one gate to the next for my connecting flight home. So I didn't have time to get annoyed by the security voice.
Consider yourself lucky!
I gave your ordeal a mention in my latest piece (http://matadortrips.com/best-worst-ugliest-busiest-airports-world), but it sounds like I got my info wrong. I thought you were delayed this time too!
That's ok, the sense of the comment is correct! I missed that piece of yours, thanks for including it in the comment.
Post a Comment