Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fun with Google Maps

I have been having so much fun in my spare time the last few months, constructing this map, which I'm calling a "geographical diary" of my time in London. [which is seeming more and more like a dream all the time] I've tried to identify the places in London where all of my photos were taken, even those just showing street scenes, and have been remarkably successful in doing this after the fact (wishing, however, that I'd taken more notes about the shots). Just identifying which church is which was quite an undertaking!

Here's the result of my work—probably not totally complete yet, but close enough to unveil to the world. Maybe it will be useful to folks planning a trip to London as well as being a record of my ramblings there.


View London Rambles in a larger map

Working on the map has been a very useful exercise, as well as fun. It's helped reinforce my London memories enough that I hope they are permanently imprinted on my brain in some detail. I really wish I could never forget a single moment!

I have also begun work on a larger project that will include many more of my photos, including those taken on my trips outside of London. I plan to add links to appropriate markers on the "London Rambles" map when I have more photos and information up on my website—my idea is that the website and the Google Map will work together to make a fairly complete record of my wonderful time in the U.K.

Stay tuned!

No comments: