Sunday, July 12, 2009

European shopping trick

The best way not to spend too much at the grocery store—not to mention avoiding buying a lot of miscellaneous stuff that you don't really need—is to know that you have to haul it all home without benefit of mechanical assistance.

My shopping expeditions when I was living in London were perfect examples of this concept. I was limited to the volume I could fit into two shopping bags and the weight I thought I could carry home (one-way streets made bus rides to the store easy but from the store not so helpful).

I practice this European way of shopping [at least it's the traditional European way] occasionally here in the heart of the USA by riding my bike to my local HEB whenever I can. Especially if I find I need a few things on the weekend. And every time I do I'm reminded of those self-limiting trips to Sainsburys and Tesco.


Now I'm limited to what will fit in my bike basket, since I'm lucky to have a grocery store within biking distance (also walking distance, but biking's more fun).

I readily admit that I don't ride to shop as regularly as my friend JaPRA, but I did make a trip today and here's my trusty steed upon arrival back home, on the left. In the basket: half gallon milk, large yogurt for smoothies, 2 pints blueberries, 1 lb. strawberries, a tub of hummus, a package of bread mix and 3 apples. Not a bad haul! For human-powered transport, that is.

5 comments:

hal said...

I miss my bike...and smoothies.

Kathy Amen said...

Dad's gotten to be an expert smoothie-maker--can't wait for you to try them out!

Mandy said...

:o) That's a close cousin of my "packing for the United States" trick. I knew I'd be alone and needed to pack only that which I could carry!

Unfortunately, we drive to do our shopping and buy for two weeks at a time. I wish I could rein in our spending.

TBM said...

Kathy, what a bike seat! I love your basket too. I hoping to get one for my BD. :-)

BTW, I used to get my groceries delivered in England. AND I had a milkman... talk about opposite sides of the spectrum.

Kathy Amen said...

I'm sure my idea of "tradional European" comes from 1960's foreign films, so not too surprising that y'all's experience is different.

JAPRA: I LOVE my comfy bike seat. Main selling point for me, though, was its height off the ground: I can put feet on terra firma easily should the need arise. Basket was an xmas gift and is the perfect size. So far I'm not up to filling panniers, too. 8-)