Friday, May 15, 2009

Local Rugby: who knew?

Sign spotted outside a local eatery*. I assume this is the team's website, although if so it hasn't been updated yet to show the state championship. Perhaps they're is too busy celebrating.

My students (and my kids) and I became instant rugby fans when we saw a London Wasps match last October. [I could kick myself—no pun intended—for not taking any pictures there.] An exciting try scored right in front of you, just after you sit down after an exhausting bus ride, is the way to win new fans! So we wish the local team luck, and hope nationals are being played somewhere cooler than San Antonio.

*The Olmos Pharmacy part of the sign has an interesting story. A long-time local landmark (serving the best chocolate milkshakes in the world, bar none) it has morphed into a wine bar in the evenings, and is now known as the Olmos Bharmacy.

No comments: