Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Favorite Fotos: finishing up the signs

Just a few more miscellaneous interesting sign photos in the folder, including the one at the right, taken, I believe, near the Tower. I did see a few similar receptacles in other locales, but not as many as I'd put up if I were in charge of city streets. One of my biggest pet peeves is discarded gum on the sidewalk. Tossed-away butts are bad, too, but at least they don't stick to your shoes.

Moving on to another, unrelated (I said this collection was miscellaneous) sign seen near a pond at Hampstead Heath. There are so many interesting things about this notice—men only? why? are they the only people crazy enough to go swimming (in the winter) in water that's untreated, opaque and cold? (characteristics which apparently have their own graphic symbol) how, exactly does one properly go about summoning a lifeguard in case of an emergency?


The sign on the left was posted inside the ladies' loo at Westminster Cathedral. The toilets are located in the Cathedral Kitchen, which is a cafe, not an actual kitchen.

It expresses the fervent hopes of users of public toilets everywhere, doesn't it? And, for the most part, the public loos in the UK, whose praises I'm sure I've sung on earlier occasions in the blog, were left in a very fit state. Hardly, hardly ever out of paper, and usually with both warm water and soap in abundance. What a wonderful civilization, that can provide such facilities!

I have nothing but compliments for Londoners and British people in general, based on my encounters. And though, because of the spelling, I feel this isn't exactly what's meant by the sign below (from what I could gather on the internet, I think it has something to do with alternative medicine), I still thought the wording was very apt:


The sign below I had to snap, given the large numbers of engineers I have as friends and relatives. And I know how easily distractable they are! The door leads to one of the restoration hangars at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford.


Now, it seems that the logic of this post, not much to start with, is really falling apart, so I'll close with this sign from a street in Oxford.

It happens that I am finding less logic for this entire blog, as well. I plan to post a finale collection of views of London sometime this week, then at least temporarily sign off Bridges to London. I've definitely gotten the blogging bug, though, and will let my countless (?!) loyal readers know when my new blog is ready for prime time, hopefully also later this week.

2 comments:

TBM said...

Those gum + butt signs are funny, aren't they? (Ok, maybe it's just me and my immature self).

How was your meeting with the uni students? Do they miss being in London? Are they much changed?

Kathy Amen said...

It was so neat to see the students. One of them had compiled a slide show of pictures of groups of them all over London plus during their trips and it really made me sort of homesick for Europe!

Overall I think they miss it more than I do, of course I had things perhaps more rewarding (job I like, house I missed, etc.) than them to come back to.

And, yes, they definitely have changed. So much more mature, and many of them more outgoing and obviously self-confident--just what was supposed to happen!