Henry gave me the idea of finishing up my London diary with a series of photo collections. I eventually plan to put together a large website highlighting many of mine and his best photos, similar, although on a much larger scale, than what I've done for previous vacations of ours. But for now, these shots and the ones to come in the next days and weeks will be results of a quick run-through of my "My Pictures" sub-folders.I thought I'd start with some glimpses of some of the beautiful older buildings that fill almost all of London's streets. It's hard to look down a single block and not be charmed by the lovely architecture. I can tell you where most of the buildings featured here are located. But I hope you'll agree that they're quite photogenic, if not always precisely identified.
The one at the top of the blog is easy, though, since it's my own little block of flats. I'd love to know more about its history, but we were told the buildings were probably built in the early 1900's.Another address I can precisely identify is this house on the left, at #2 Cheyne Walk, former home of Vera Brittain. Hal and I specifically sought it out on our stroll along the Chelsea Embankment back in September.
Here is another identifiable street, Queen's Gate Terrace, where the students had their lodgings. I love the long line of snow white facades; and we all found it so interesting that cars park in the middle of the street.

Here are a couple of examples of the neighborhoods I walked through on my way to and from the office. Not bad scenery for such a mundane chore, eh? The porches on the houses in the first photo had these lovely round stained glass emblems set into them, and at night they glowed, making the houses even more beautiful. I wish I'd been able to get a good photo of that scene.

The photo below is of one of my favorite little squares along the route. Not only was the park nice, but the houses surrounding it were some of my favorites, architecture-wise.

Here are a couple of random buildings. The first shot, I believe, was near the Imperial College campus, if not actually on it, although I can't be sure. I have no idea where the second photo was taken, but I could handle living in that penthouse, couldn't you?!


I'll end up with two shots that I can identify. The first was taken in Grosvenor Square, near the American Embassy. (Although it's not one of these lovely buildings, but rather a more recent construction from a less elegant architectural phase.)
And finally here's a really impressive hotel, the Hotel Russell on Russell Square. I visited a librarian in his office nearby and was pretty taken with the look of this place as I left. Fancy as it seems, the rates aren't all that outlandish—perhaps accommodation for a future visit?
London does have new buildings, too, and they will be the subject of my next collection.

5 comments:
Love these building shots. I may very well be mistaken, but the 6th photo looks a lot like the little circle we stumbled onto the day we got locked in the park, not too far from Harrods.
I'm pretty sure it was taken before that outing. There are a lot of very similar views, and similar little parks. Henry swore we were at the same park once later, when I knew we were no where near it.
I second Aunt Joan on the 6th picture. I know there was a building across the alley from Harrods that had those spire things.
Sorry, guys, the photo was definitely taken on the walking tour we had of the area around the students' dorm. It was after a photo of the Royal College of Music (on the Imperial College campus) and just before one of the Albert Memorial in Hyde Park. So I'm afraid it wasn't near Harrods. Just a similar architectural style.
Humph
Post a Comment