Friday, December 12, 2008

Checking off more items

One exhibit I've been debating about seeing all semester is the Rothko showing at the Tate Modern and I finally decided yesterday just to bite the bullet, pay, and go see it. I was hoping to have a real artist with me, my blogging friend Plane Ride, but she was feeling poorly and decided not to brave the cold temperatures we've been experiencing. (Glad to report she's feeling better now.) So I headed over to the south bank of the Thames by myself. The picture at the right shows the Millennium footbridge that handily leads from St. Paul's to the museum (the tower is the landmark that identifies the Tate Modern, visible from almost anywhere in London).

The exhibit was very interesting, if, from my perhaps somewhat philistinian (is that a word?) perspective, a bit over-priced. But I'm glad I went to see it, since otherwise I'd have always wondered what I missed. In addition to some amazing large pieces displayed together for the first time, in one of the museum's cavernous galleries, there were interesting exhibits on the artist's techniques.

In the small world department, I must note that I might not normally have even known who Rothko is, but in the early '70's I participated in the dedication of the Rothko Chapel in Houston. A sub-group of the Rice Chorale, which I was singing with as a recent alum, performed a very strange piece of music as part of the dedication ceremony. (I'll always remember that we were asked to sing quarter-tones, which are indistinguishable to my poor intonation sense, but are accomplished, it seems, by singing a tone and then thinking about making it higher or lower.) At any rate, it was rather rewarding to see the Chapel prominently mentioned in the booklet accompanying the Tate exhibit; there's even a room in it devoted to sketches of the pieces Rothko planned for it. A small world indeed!

The rest of my day was spent finishing up (finally!) Christmas shopping and then meeting librarian friends for drinks and dinner. Since I had a hour or so to kill before joining up with them, and I just happened to be in the neighborhood of the British Museum, I spent the time there. Although I was too nervous to enjoy it properly—having such a strict timetable to follow in that place is very stressful! However, I was able to stroll through some galleries that I hadn't been in before, such as those devoted to Korea and to African art.

I wasn't too happy with any of the pictures I took yesterday, but I thought this one was fairly nice, showing the view back across the Millennium Bridge from the Tate's entry plaza. Notice the blue skies! I have been very lucky in the weather this last week; it's allowed me to do lots of walking in relative comfort as I say my farewells to this great city.

2 comments:

TBM said...

Oh, I am sorry to have missed seeing this with you. But I am definitely going to catch this exhibit, overpriced or not ;-) BTW, Here is a link to an excellent video on Rothko. It is a part of "The Power of Art" series that ran on BBC. Very well done.

I am glad you had a beautiful day for your outing.

Kathy Amen said...

I'll save the video as a reward for paper-grading today. I *love* the art documentaries on BBC. I'm really going to miss them.