On a recent trip I encountered a memorial that surprised me. It commemorates a war that became overshadowed by the much larger conflicts that followed it, but which contained some hints of what was to come.
![]() |
| "to commemorate the heroic devotion of the Canadians who fell in the South African War..." |
In the middle of downtown Montréal is this handsome memorial to Canadians who fought with Britain in the Boer War, which happened around the turn of the 20th century. The memorial was erected in 1907.
Given all the many memorials I visited and photographed in the U.K., I don't remember a single one commemorating this conflict! I wonder what impulse led to its appearance here? Granted, I know very little about this war. Some of the battles listed on the memorial sounded vaguely familiar...
![]() |
| face of the memorial listing Boer War battles |
What I primarily know is that Churchill made a name for himself as a war correspondent during it, and that it introduced concentration camps to the world.
But if I had to name a Dominion country who participated in the war, it would be the Aussies. Admittedly, this knowledge comes from seeing Breaker Morant at an impressionable age, not from any military history knowledge.
However, even an unpopular and somewhat obscure war has a human cost that should be remembered. And I found this unexpected memorial well executed and a moving sight in the early dusk of our stroll around a small part of this lovely city.




No comments:
Post a Comment