Wednesday, May 6, 2015

War Memorial Central--west

Living, as I do, in a city that has its own Cenotaph, war memorials that remind me of London aren't exactly scarce in my experience. But I recently got a mega-dose by visiting a series of these structures in connection with an evening at the Symphony.


The large center in the background of this photo is our newly renovated Tobin Center, which I've blogged about over on Hometown Tourist. But the small stone-and-statuary edifice in the foreground is our local Korean War Memorial. Here's a closer view:


Then, at the other end of this plaza that faces the Center, is our Vietnam Memorial, a very dramatic sculpture:


It's large enough, with enough busy city in the background, that it's hard to get a picture of the whole thing. This is just part of it. You can see the multitude of flowery offerings left there, though, probably because of the recent anniversary of the end of the war. I imagine that there are usually not so many wreaths there, but I suspect there's always one or two at least.

I had seen the Korean and Vietnam memorials before, but new for me on this visit was the Veterans' Plaza on the backside of the Center. This space, which leads up from the River Walk, is marked by this series of handsome plaques. They not only name, but describe the heroic actions of Congressional Medial of Honor recipients from the San Antonio area. On this visit I didn't have time to read them all, but I plan to make a stop in this plaza a normal part of my pre-Symphony routine in the future, so I hope to read them all someday.


(Look for more views of the plaza in general at Hometown Tourist soon.)



No comments: