Monday, January 11, 2010

Good God, Holmes! I've been there!

When I heard that the new Sherlock Holmes movie had scenes showing the Tower Bridge under construction, I knew I had to go see it.

And though those scenes are cool, the biggest thrill for me came when I recognized the cemetery setting for an important moment—it was my own neighborhood Brompton Cemetery! Just a block from my flat! How exciting! It was almost like seeing someone I knew up on the big screen.


It brought back a half-remembered [or half-imagined?] London memory. Did I see a film crew in the crypt area during one of my walks? I think that would have merited a blog mention, so probably not. Perhaps a notice was posted in the area telling of it being closed on some future date for filming? Or I heard someone mention that such activities were going on? One of these events seems more likely, but I can't be sure.

At any rate, the cemetery is in the movie and you can catch a brief glimpse of it in the trailer above, about 1/3 of the way through. If you want to see more, check out this Flickr set of London parks photos. The ones from the cemetery start, again, about 1/3 of the way into it. A few of the best are here for your enjoyment.



The movie was a total delight. And not only because of the cemetery and Tower Bridge scenes, the movie as a whole had me feeling like I'd been back to London for a couple of hours by the time it was finished.

Holmes purists who are put off by the slam-bang action in the trailers should still see it. Behind the action-hero stuff, the essential Holmes and Watson are there, probably moreso than in the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce incarnations that I grew up watching, nostalgically amusing as those are. Try it! You'll like it!

And for London-philes like myself, it's really a must-see.

3 comments:

TBM said...

I know this movie has its lovers and haters, but I'm excited to see it! It looks like a fun way to introduce Sherlock Holmes to a new generation.

I've seen so many movie crews in London... when we moved there in 2007, James Bond something or other was filming near the London Eye.

One of the Bourne films has a long chase sequence filmed in Waterloo Station. Have you seen it? I think it was the third one. Anyway, I wondered if they filmed that in the middle of the night because, wow, that station is ALWAYS crowded. Roxi and I saw something filmed there during one of our many, many arrivals to that terminus. Don't know if it was for a film or for TV. There were lots of lurkers!

Kathy Amen said...

We also saw what must have been a film crew on Hampstead Heath. The long lag between shooting on location and the release of the film means I would always be surprised when I saw a familiar location on the screen, even if I'd watched the filming. But now that I'm back home, it seems like every other thing I see on TV was filmed in London!

Jason said...

You have a great blog here. I like reading unique blogs like yours. I have a site myself which provides information on popular vacation destinations. I want my site to be a place where anyone from around the world can come and have that vacation spirit or "vacation feeling" as you can tell from my domain name.

I'd like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around between each other. Please let me know if this is possible.

Jason
ThatVACATIONfeeling.com