A business trip to Washington, D.C. earlier this week made me extra nostalgic for the Tube. And also reminded me how much I'd love having a transportation system like DC's Metro or London's Underground here in San Antonio.
I'd love not to have to drive to work, like a DC friend I saw, who doesn't own a car. Or like how I got around last fall in London. Sigh. Dallas and Houston are just getting their toes wet in the light rail waters. Which means it'll probably be too late for me, at least as a working member of San Antonio society, when/if we finally take the plunge. How much does gas have to cost before Texans wake up and smell the railroad?
The short time I had to spend studying DC's map for connections reminded me, too, of what neat pieces of graphic art these train maps are. London's is more extensive and convoluted than DC's somewhat chunky ribbons, but that's understandable given its much longer history, having been built up from a patchwork of different train companies (as I learned in the Transport Museum). But they're both supremely functional and very attractive, and you can't beat that combination:
Friday, October 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
The very first thin I think of every time I find my mind slipping back to South Africa is, "But I'll have to drive to work!!" and then I'm magically not homesick any more!! If Johannesburg had a truly world class train or bus system, I'd be 50% of the way towards moving back. (And by world class, i mean reliable, clean-ish and you can catch it at 11pm at night without being mugged or worse).
Here! Here! I'm afraid I'll be long gone before San Antonio gets such a system 8-(
Houston is not so much getting it's toes wet as taking a bath with light rail; Texas cities do not have the population density to support serious public transport (thankfully, we're crowded enough already)...and then there's all us neanderthals who insist on keeping our SUVs, and maybe even a spare one for the dogs
8-p
I know the density (lack thereof) is a problem for mass transit. But I can dream...
Post a Comment