Sunday, October 4, 2009

Big Game


Although I often wish I were back in London, I'm just as glad today that I'm not needing to ride the tube to or from my Chelsea residence. There's a big game going on at Stamford Bridge, which I could see right out of my flat windows. It's the superstructure in the distance here:

The neighborhood pubs will also be stuffed and buzzing with noisy and boisterous patrons. So a quiet late lunch or early dinner would be out of the question. But how much fun it would be to join them!

I know about the game because, thanks to the miracle of satellite television, I'm watching it live in my den this morning here in San Antonio. Sigh. And wishing I was in one of those noisy neighborhood pubs, if not actually in the stands at the grounds. Or maybe even just sitting in the flat and listening to cheers and groans coming in through the window, directly from those stands.

Although, I don't envy the folks on the tube when the game lets out. They might have to wait several trains to get a seat!

9 comments:

Henry Amen said...

But if you had actually been there, you wouldn't have been able cheer for Liverpool. Not that there was much to cheer about.

Kathy Amen said...

You're right. It's hard not to root for Liverpool, even when they're playing in my back yard. Goes back to Beatlemania days, I suppose. 8-)

Mandy said...

:) I'm an Everton supporter, born and bred! Thankfully my journeys aren't often impeded by football games. London football supporters scare me!

Kathy Amen said...

Emm, being a late-comer to English football fandom, I can actually be fond of both Everton AND Liverpool. I realize that's impossible for those raised with the sport 8-).

Mandy said...

Naaah. I support Liverpool if they are not playing Everton or Man United. The Husband supports Man United!

Kathy Amen said...

Man U = The Yankees of the Premiership....sorry, but I will root against both no matter what!

Mandy said...

Yes, I know. And I would agree (when my husband is nowhere near me and can't hear!!!). My old boss used to support Liverpool and the closest I ever came to getting fired was when I draped one of Stephen's Man Utd shirts over his desk the day after Liverpool lost 2-1. My boss went as red as a beetroot and came into my office and threw the shirt in my generak direction!!!

In defiance, I will always support Man Utd when they play against Liverpool now.

Kathy Amen said...

That was a pretty gutsy thing to do to your boss! In some circles, football's like religion and politics--not good conversation topics!

Mandy said...

Gutsy? Naah, stupid! He admitted to me later just how close I was to being fired!!!