Friday, April 3, 2009

Spread of smartness?

It wasn't too unusual in London to see these little vehicles, although seeing two in front of the same house in Kensington was eye-catching enough to inspire a photo:

But I figured it would be years before I saw anything this small on the streets of San Antonio.

This week, however, I saw Smart Cars on my way to work on two different occasions. And they were two different cars (I'm sure because they were different colors). They're still 'way outnumbered by big, honking, impractical SUVs, but I find it very encouraging that there are any at all.

To put the whipped cream on the Smart Car sundae, my neighborhood HEB is actually giving one away! Which I would think is just a publicity stunt, had I not seen those others in actual action.

Seeing all these little guys lately has really made me think of London. Can American drivers finally be getting smart about vehicle size?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We started seeing them in Houston last summer, however I'm not sure they're such an intelligent size here once they venture out of the neighborhood.....after seeing the sporty versions in London I briefly considered getting one of those to supplement my earth-destroying suv; but again, like the Subaru Baja, they've stopped production....really should have started shopping sooner I guess

8-(

Kathy Amen said...

I have also heard that they're not particularly good cars, and you'd do better getting a reliable small, but slightly bigger, car like a civic or something. I have no expertise in these matters, though, and just think they're kind of cute. Plus, they will always remind me of London!

TBM said...

My gosh, I cannot imagine driving one of those on the Houston roads. I would be scared I'd get wedged under an 18-wheeler. I don't even want to think about I-10 or 59!

Kathy, I heard the same thing about the cars not being particularly fuel efficient. I think the best part about them is the size for parking. I did see one in Paris wedged between two parallel parked cars. The regular sized cars were parked lengthwise along the curb, the smart car was backed up with its rear bumper at the curb!

Kathy Amen said...

There is that size problem vis-a-vis the vehicles of choice around here, but I'm encouraged at seeing these and at the number of Pri-i (plural of Prius?) on SA streets. Maybe eventually the average vehicle size will inch downward?