Wednesday, November 12, 2008

V&A re-redux

I have a feeling there will be a lot of "revisited" titles in my posts from here on out. I've made it to all the "big ticket" tourist sites, and some I'm satisfied with, but others I know I'll want to see again before I leave. Sunday it was the Victoria and Albert Museum's turn.

As you can see by the picture, third time was a charm and I finally found the cleverly-hidden musical instruments gallery. It was worth the hunt. An amazing array—surprise!—of mostly stringed instruments that were simply gorgeous and often quite curious.

After a somewhat overpriced, but delicious lunch in the Museum's cafe, I tackled the British Galleries, which took up the rest of the afternoon. Everything from teapots to china, to clothing, weapons, locks, and all manner of mysterious and beautiful objects. With the added advantage of learning some more of the amazing and wondrous (and sometimes infuriating) history of this green and pleasant land. Side trips into the Middle East and Chinese galleries meant that I probably have seen all I need to see at the V&A. Although I wouldn't turn down another trip if the opportunity presents itself. It's become one of my favorite places in London, for no other reason than that you really never know what you're going to find there. Or what curious and fascinating facts you'll learn about the objects you see.

2 comments:

TBM said...

Isn't their cafe amazing looking? I love how the museum buildings here are as interesting as their collections.

Kathy Amen said...

That's for sure!

Glad to read that you're feeling better.