This amazing memorial at the Tower of London surely made me wish I was back there more than anything I can remember.
What a wonderful, poignant, and moving tribute! I so wish I could have seen this in person.
We are doing a lot of World War I remembrance on our campus, too, though. Last week there was an interesting series of panel discussions on the War and literature, and students are being encouraged to read about the war through our community reading project.
Plus, we now have a collection of patriotic posters on display in the Library, borrowed from our local public library's special collections:
Stop for a moment at 11:11 today and remember not only this horrible conflict (from which there are now no surviving veterans) but of the much too many that came after it, and those who fought for us in them.





2 comments:
The poppies really are moving. There was nothing particularly somber about the display and no one was asking us to be quiet or anything but I was overcome by emotion as I stood there and thought how very lucky I am to be alive.
I think it would be pretty hard to stand there by all that red, knowing what it represents, and not be moved. Plus the individual poppies are so pretty! Your post about this several months ago, I think, was the first I heard about this very creative memorial.
Post a Comment